After three months of work since the last release, we manage to keep the schedule and ship Rockbox 3.1. The list of news since 3.0 include the following:
- A bitmap scaler was added to Rockbox, which means that album art no longer has to be pre-scaled to the correct dimensions on your computer. See AlbumArt for more information.
- The calendar plugin which has existed for the Archos units for a long time is now available on all devices equipped with a clock.
- The spacerocks plugin which was removed from version 3.0 due to a major bug has been brought back.
- Optimised MP3 decoder on dual-core targets, giving several more hours of battery life in most situations.
- Optimizations for AAC and APE decoding
- Backlight fading is now available on most targets.
- When recording in mono, you can now chose between recording the left or right channel, or a mix of both.
- It is now possible to configure which items are shown in the Quick Screen.
- Several new features were added to the WPS syntax
- The build system received a major overhaul. This only matters for people who compile their own builds.
My personal contribution has been very tiny this time around and I’ve basically just built the release builds and admined the distributed build system somewhat.