Not too long ago I blogged about my work to better deal with changing networks while Firefox is running. That job was basically two parts.
A) generic code to handle receiving such a network-changed event and then
B) a platform specific part that was for Windows that detected such a network change and sent the event
Today I've landed yet another fix for part B called bug 1079385, which detects network changes for Firefox on Mac OS X.
I've never programmed anything before on the Mac so this was sort of my christening in this environment. I mean, I've written countless of POSIX compliant programs including curl and friends that certainly builds and runs on Mac OS just fine, but I never before used the Mac-specific APIs to do things.
I got a mac mini just two weeks ago to work on this. Getting it up, prepared and my first Firefox built from source took all-in-all less than three hours. Learning the details of the mac API world was much more trouble and can't say that I'm mastering it now either but I did find myself at least figuring out how to detect when IP addresses on the interfaces change and a changed address is a pretty good signal that the network changed somehow.