MrH mailed me the latest version of mi4code that now incorporates proper support for the recent Sansa 1.03.07 firmware (claimed to be beta, only available from some unofficial sansa fan sites, such as anythingbutipod.com), and I’ve uploaded it to the mi4code page.
Note that we still don’t advice anyone to actually use the unofficial 1.03 version as it has been reported to be bad in several aspects, such as the removal of MSC mode!
Yeah, Rockbox ships as a GPLv2 licensed package, without the “or later” option for users to switch license at will. This has been all fine and dandy for a long time and Rockbox includes source from a busload of different other projects, licensed as GPLv2 and BSD etc.
Now, some of the projects Rockbox uses or wants to use are slowly turning GPLv3. First out being espeak, and the corresponding Rockbox patch for using it.
GPLv2 and GPLv3 are not compatible. We cannot ship binaries built with a mix of these licenses.
So, we’re now starting to see the real-world effects of the GPLv3 license. Slowly some projects are going v3, and we (as in the Rockbox project) must remain with their older v2 sources until we take the jump (more or less forced) to v3 – only to then have the reversed situation as then we can’t use projects that are licensed strictly GPLv2 (without the “or later”)…
Sigh. The world is a complicated place.
As Marcus Rejås blogged and has been mentioned already by mainstream “media” such as IDG, Microsoft and its allies managed to buy themselves a favorable vote from Sweden in the OOXML debacle.
For our Swedish readers, I can’t but to show this funny picture I found on the SIS web site:
The text in that circle on the right says “buy standards by clicking on your area”… and boy, did they!
(Updates: further Swedish details in DN and ekot.)
I’ve been “blogging” more or less for ages already (my first post on Advogato was in May 2000) but I thought it was about time I installed a proper blog software so that I could post my rants easier and possibly somewhat more often than what I’ve done in the past…
Ok, so this is a WordPress default install on Debian unstable and it was a fairly easy install once I found the “.deb” install procedure linked from WordPress’ site